Mission San Diego is sometimes referred to as the Plymouth Rock of the West Coast.
The first seeds of agriculture were planted at Mission San Diego, which laid the foundations for the great agricultural state that California is today.
It was possible for historians to find out what crops were grown at each mission by studying the components of the adobe bricks.
When homes were being built in Old Town, it was common practice to take materials from the abandoned mission to be used in constructing the homes.
Usually two padres were assigned to each mission but as more and more missions were built only one padre served at this mission. Fr. Fermin de Lausuen served as our pastor and only priest from 1775-1785. He also succeeded Padre Serra as President of the Mission System.
The OFM after the name of a padre refers to the designation of Order of Friars Minor - followers of Saint Francis of Assisi.
During mission days the following pastors served
Mission San Diego: